So I've decided (and it has passed roommate approval) to get a pet. A pet bird to be exact. A love bird to be even more exact. I was thinking about getting a cat or something, but because of recent car breakdowns I don't want to even try to pay the $500 pet deposit at my apartment. While I could just NOT pay it I'd feel bad and it would probably come back to bite me in the ass anyways.
Yeah, I was in a little pet store yesterday and there were all these friendly cockatiels and parakeets and expensive parrots and whatnot. I kind of thought about getting another iguana (I've had a couple in the past) but I would really like something more personable. Parakeets are really pretty loud and cockatiels too, but lovebirds are a bit more subdued, so if my roommate (or myself) wants to take a nap we won't get too much squawking.
I would really like a cat (a dog is really out of the question, that would require more time than I have available) but with the pet deposit thing, the bird idea has won out. I also think I'd be able to bond with the bird more if he's my ONLY pet. I've had parakeets, but I also had cats, and cats don't need as much work to get used to people. Plus he'll be pretty and can talk to me while I'm doing homework, and other than the initial cost of buying him and the cage would be very affordable to maintain.
The pros most definitately outweigh the cons and I'm certain I can give the bird enough attention to keep him happy and social enough.
Isn't this exciting! I'm going to get MY first pet, one that will only belong to ME, not one I have to leave with my parents, one that can stay with me for as long as it's able. Someday I'll get a kitty too, but for now the bird will help me out a lot.
Now off I go to do errands.
Tuesday, September 27
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment