Thursday, August 4

That's Just Swell

Thought it might be fun to show some fabricated facts created in the fifties that some cigarette ad displayed. There's also an ad with a baby saying, "Before you scold me, Mom...maybe you'd better light up a Marlboro." Because Marlboro's never make you feel over-smoked.

There's also advertisements just showing horrendous looking things, like a plaid refrigerator (so that it can match your equally awful looking plaid drapes). An ad for color photographs...but they've used a photo of a murder scene to show the quality of red that their camera can capture...or something. Murder scenes always make me want to buy a camera. And why is there a guy jumping off a diving board with a pipe in his mouth? Oh, I so need one of those pointy Madonna bras, they're to die for, especially if you get stabbed by one.

It's amazing how many of these ads follow a formula though, but I guess it's like that even nowadays. Half page picture, title, half page text...half page picture, title, half page text...etc. There are the occassional ones that stand out, but so many ads are just made to be thrown away. The artwork and illustration is pretty fun in most of them, but they all look the same. I actually find it a little amazing since "the 50s" was the time when everything needed to be new, and modern...but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean unique. I also have to keep in mind that maybe the guy who put this book together was attracted to only a certain kind of look and only put those kind of ads in.

The car ads are great though, every car is GINORMOUS! I do want a '59 Buick LeSabre, that would kick so much ass, or an old Chevy stationwagon...I miss my giant car ('76 Chevy Caprice, I'm sad I know). Too bad I'm too poor to keep it in good shape, let alone just putting gas in it anymore, I guess I'll have to make due with my little Escort, but maybe someday I'll get that giant car, someday....

No comments: