Ah, it's so nice to be wasting time on Valentine's Day, or Tuesday. Still listening to Pink Floyd, I think I may go out and buy some other CDs of them so I can have as much variety as possible and not get too tired of listening to the same stuff over and over. That or get some similar bands like Peter Frampton or something. So yeah, I've got to do some brainstorming for that tomorrow. Unfortunately, due to Boscoe's sensitivites, I can't listen to Pink Floyd to even close to how loud they're supposed to be heard.
I think I did pretty well on my test tonight, so that's a plus. That class is quite interesting (Gender Across Cultures that is), lot's of interesting debates, get to read articles titled "Where have all the menstrual huts gone?" All very interesting stuff. Talk about many misconceptions of gender within cultures up until now (there's still misunderstandings, but it's better) because it was a Western male dominated field up until the 70s so there's been all sorts of biases that are now fairly well overcome. Then you get into the debate of the near universality of female subordination and why that is, why, how and when a division of labor came about in humans, and basically how gendered is viewed differently in various cultures, what's appropriate and what's not and how gender roles are always changing and never really have strict guidelines. All interesting stuff, good things to ponder.
The "menstrual huts" article is fun though because this woman is pointing out the reason no one has found menstrual "huts" for many of the Native American populations that practiced menstrual seclusion is because they probably weren't "huts", but more along the lines of "Women's houses". She also talks about how the menstrual seclusion must be some sort of sign of shame or something when in fact it more than likely was a time for women to bond about 5 days out of every month. Which I would be quite okay with, I want a break from doing regular work for a few days out of every month. A lot of this misinterpretation comes around though because if a male anthropologist goes and studies a culture he's going to talk to other men and the women won't talk the same to a man as they would to other women and vice versa.
"Fuck all that"
(Sorry, listening to Pink Floyd still) Anyways, I could probably go on discussing all sorts of anthropological stuff for some time. I guess maybe I should actually get some work done and take a shower and stuff...things...whatever. Yay productivity!
Tuesday, February 14
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment