Tuesday, January 9

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?

So, I'm very glad school hasn't started...yet. Unfortunately, it will start soon though. Actually I'm sort of dreading my last semester, because I think I'm going just be more exhausted than I was last semester. That, and the fact that I have to go into the "real-world" after this semester which is cool and depressing at the same time.

Most of the problem I'm having is that I'm already asking myself the "now what?" question that plagues all who enter into new life chapters. I mean I could stay at my current job, which is appealing because it would be relatively easy, and after being constantly busy from school the past four years, I think that would be nice, at least for a little while.

Then there's the question of "what's my dream job?" and I have not a fricken clue. I sort of know what I want to do, and as nerdy as it sounds I kind of think designing text books sounds cool. Trying to make something that's a chore to read (hopefully) more interesting.

In thinking about what I want to do I'm realizing that I have very boring dreams. Stability is more important to me than going off to New York or Chicago or Europe or some other cool place. I want a job I can leave and not have to worry about when I get home...I'd like to have some more pets, maybe a little art studio (that could be a garage for all I care).

Now, perhaps you wonder what's prompted this thinking, which is simple, my professor sent out a questionnare for everyone to fill out so that our adjuncts can know a little bit about us. I've filled it out, but I might modify some of the answers since I haven't sent it back yet:

1. What three magazines do you read regularly?
I only really read one magazine and it's for fun, PSM. I look at various design magazines (I've got about a dozen of old Communication Arts lying around) while researching every once in a while, but not regurarly. Bad designer, bad.

2. Who is your design hero? Why?
I don't have a design hero per se, unless Alex Ross counts (he does some cool comic book stuff).

3 & 4. What is your dream job upon graduation? Why is it your dream job?
I would actually like to work on text books. Since so much of graphic designer work ends up being trash to most people, it would be nice to make something that's used a lot, more appealing and hopefully clearer to understand. This dream may change, but it sounds interesting at the moment.

5. What's your plan for realizing that dream?
I don't have much of a plan yet, but I guess find some publishing companies that seem to provide that work I'm interested and try to get an interview.

6.When was the moment you decided to become a designer/art director?
The "moment" I (sort of) realized that I'd like to do design, apart from always liking to draw and being in art class, is when I became really obsessive in creating a fictional brochure for the country of Monaco in my highschool geography class. All I had was Word and few crappy images from the internet, but I tried my hardest to make it perfect. I wish I still had that thing to see if it was at least sort of good.

7. What is your philosophy for life?
To always do my best and try not to worry too much.

8. On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being most prepared, how prepared are you to graduate?
I guess a 5, because while I may not have the greatest internship in the world, I've already been offered a full-time job after graduation. I guess stability is more important to me than having the coolest job in the world.

9. What is the main thing you want to accomplish with this class?
To make a killer portfolio so that I can feel confident in finding a new and more interesting job after graduation. More specifically I'd like to get better at making better page layout designs, I tend to not have enough variation within my spreads to keep it interesting.

Anyways, I think I'm done with my pondering for now. I'm going to play some more video games ("Bully" is rather entertaining so far).

No comments: