Wednesday, November 5

Yes We Can....

What?

What can we do? Obama gives great speeches, he sounds like he cares, but what exactly is he going to do? He doesn't have much history in higher government so we can't look at that, and while his speeches are great and inspiring and hopeful, what CAN we do?

I think people have become apathetic and cynical of our government, but we can't follow blindly at some pretty words that Obama has to say. I like the humanity and caring he seems to have, but it's all so vague. He's talks in a very inspiring way, but what is he inspiring us to do?

I saw a graph showing what some polls said the people based their vote on. The highest percentage point was "change". What the hell does that mean? Change can be a multitude of things, McCain would have been a change too. Change can be good or bad, so what kind of change, can we be just a little more specific?

I didn't feel very strongly about either candidate, and I don't generally talk about politics, but I think many people have been blinded by their extreme dislike for Bush that they've been following this hope for an undefined "change" in the future.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer here, nor am I really bashing Obama. I think he's an intelligent guy and there are checks and balances in place in our government to prevent anything too extreme from happening (though if everything ends with a democratic majority I could be wrong). Both sides have valid points and ideas, people that are too left or right wing get blinded by being with the "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality and don't even consider another point-of-view.

What I'm saying is, we need to question our leaders and the decisions that are made. If we put too much faith in any one person (they are human after all) I think we are putting ourselves up for disappointment. And I feel that's happening somewhat with Obama supporters.

Be idealistic, but realistic, things won't "change" over night (and Obama did acknowledge, which I really like, even if it is vague).

At least Europe will start liking us again though.

No comments: